Saturday, January 31, 2015

Review: Kick by Carmen Jenner






Title: Kick
Author: Carmen Jenner
Genre: Dark Romantic Suspense
Type: Book 1 of Savage Saints MC series
POV: First Person – Dual (Mostly male)
Rating:



I’m not the hero in this story; I’m the motherfucking villain.

Kick was born and bred in the MC world where it was ingrained in him that loyalty to the club and the brothers were more important than anything else. One bad choice led to another that spiraled down to the decimation of his former club.

Now he’s with the Savage Saints MC, still trying to find his place within the brotherhood. He was tasked with a job of collecting an “offender” but not only had he botched the job, he also gained a captive.

Indie wanted an out while Kick was determined to keep her safe even if the future seemed destined to match his desolated past.




Personally, I don’t know which genre to put this book in. It is dark in the physical violence kind of way. It’s not a romance even though there’s a slight romantic element in it. It was explicit but not in erotic kind of way.



Kick is basically a story of redemption. He was trying to right his past while still very much haunted by it. I like him. He was a broken soul with a savior complex. However, I feel like there was a certain proclivity in his character wasn’t fully explored.



I like Indie too even though we only got a few chapters in her POV. I like that she was a strong female character even with the things she had to go through. I like seeing her journey from a traumatized victim to a ruthless vengeance seeker that fell within the acceptable realism.

Tank was one of Kick’s closest allies and I really like him. I wasn’t happy with how his character was phased out in the book. I’m assuming/hoping his book will be next.

The book alternated between now and then and it worked in telling the story of Kick’s past. However, since the situation was similar with his present, I sometimes got confused with the timeline.



I have to say for an MC series, this book didn’t feel like it. It’s not necessarily a bad thing. It’s just that I didn’t really feel the biker vibe.

A little warning for those who can’t tolerate non-consensual sex - there were a lot of them in this book. It’s probably the most I read in one book. It didn’t bother me because it did serve a purpose.


Overall, Kick was a good book to get yourself lost in the hard hitting world of biker outlaws. 

This review is also available on Goodreads.

2 comments:

  1. Great review! And I absolutely love your teasers! Thanks so much for being a part of the tour! :)

    ReplyDelete